These fried delicacies are enjoyed at Italian feasts, holidays and special occasions. My family makes them for the feast of the Immaculate Conception, Christmas and New Year’s. With a few simple ingredients you can enjoy them at home too!
- 300 g AP Flour
- 230 g Warm Water
- 2 g Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt 4g
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter room temp
- 1 heaping tbsp Potato riced
- Add flour and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. Weigh the water and add dry yeast and sugar. Let it sit until it becomes foamy, about 10 minutes. Add yeast mixture to the dry ingredients along with butter and potato.
- Using the paddle attachment, mix until a dough forms. Then beat the dough on high speed for five minutes. This will aerate the dough so that you get nice fluffy zeppole. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and form a ball. Cover and let it rise until it triples in size, about two hours.
- Once the dough has risen prepare the oil to fry them. Into a frying pan, add about 2 inches of canola oil, heat until it reaches 350° – 375°F.
- Wet your hands slightly and grab a piece of dough. Stick your thumb in the middle of the piece to form a hole and then gently lay it into the hot oil. Brown on both sides. Remove and placed on a wire rack to drain.
- Add confectioners sugar to a paper bag and drop the warm zeppole into the bag and shake. This is the best way to get them completely coded in sugar.