This is something my mom grew up eating and recently taught to me. There are no words to describe how delicious this is! It is healthy for you and low carb! I promise you, you will become a lover of escarole this way once you try it.
Stuffed Escarole (Scarola Mbuttunato)
A healthy and delicious way to eat Escarole!
- 1 head Escarole
- 2 filets Anchovy, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Plain Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Kalamata Olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp Capers, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
- Fill a large bowl with cold water, place the escarole face down into the water and let it sit for 15 minutes to drain any dirt or sand that's on the inside. After 15 minutes, grab the escarole by the stump and shake it vigorously in the water to release any sand and dirt that did not fall to the bottom of the bowl. Do this several times to ensure it is completely clean.
- Prepare the ingredients for the stuffing: Chop garlic, capers, olives, and anchovies.
- Open the escarole up like a flower, and start to evenly sprinkle anchovies, olives, capers, garlic, breadcrumbs, and pepper to taste. No salt because all of these ingredients are very salty. Drizzle with olive oil, and close the escarole gently and tie with two pieces of kitchen twine.
- Into a large pot, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and one whole garlic clove. Sauté until fragrant and then add the head of escarole, season the exterior with salt and add a quarter cup of water to the pot and place the cover on. Steam on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes until fork tender.
- Remove from the pot and place on a serving dish. Remove the string. Cut the escarole in half and pour any juices that were in the pot on top. Eat with a nice piece of crusty bread and enjoy!