This is part of any traditional antipasto plate or platter for Italians. Pickled vegetables like eggplant, mushroom, and even green tomatoes add a nice vinegary bite to all of the salty and fatty cheeses and meats.
Pickled & Marinated Mushrooms
- 2 lbs white mushrooms
- 1 tbsp salt
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Garlic cloves, cut in half
- Canola, sunflower or vegetable oil
- Wash and quarter of the mushrooms.
- Into a large pot, add water and vinegar. Bring it up to a boil and then add the salt. Add all the mushrooms and boil for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Drain them and spread them out on a paper towel to cool and dry for about an hour.
- Add the cooled and dried mushrooms to a large bowl, season with oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Drizzle foil over the mushrooms and mix well.
- Placed them into a 32 ounce mason jar and fill the jar with oil until it completely covers the mushrooms. Place the top on and refrigerate immediately.