Italian always have a fruit and nut course at the end of meals, especially holiday meals. These figs were always on my family table for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. They are so delicious and taste like the holiday for me. We make them 2 ways, covered in chocolate and rolled in sugar.
Stuffed Dried Figs
- 24 Dried Figs
- 24 Walnuts
- 4 oz 60% Semi Sweet Chocolate
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Coarse Sea Salt or Maldon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 300℉.
- Cut the stem off the dried figs and cut them in half.
- Place a little bit of orange zest in the fig and a walnut. Squeeze it closed so it sticks together.
- Place 12 on a baking sheet and bake at 300℉ for 12 mins, just to heat them up and soften a bit.
- Add sugar and 2 tsps orange zest to a bowl and mix with your hands by squeezing the zest to release the essence into the sugar.
- Roll the warm figs in orange sugar.
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil. Dip each fig into the chocolate and coat on all sides. Place on parchment paper and refrigerate for 20 mins to set.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.